Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Recipe Reviews

Tried the Mexican Meatballs- here's the "updated" recipe- it's awesome!

Mexican Meatballs
Makes: 7 to 8 dozen meatballs
Prep: 40 minutes Bake: 20 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
Ingredients·
1/2 cup masa harina· I used corn flour but I think you can safely omit
1/4 cup warm water· Omit
1 pound lean ground pork·
1 pound lean ground beef·
1 egg, beaten·
4 cloves garlic, minced·
1-1/2 teaspoons salt·
/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper·
1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, undrained· Use mid size can of tomato sauce- much easier
3 chipotle chili peppers in adobo sauce, drained· decrease to 2 and add some of the sauce
1/2 cup finely chopped onion·
2 cloves garlic, minced·
1 tablespoon cooking oil·
1-1/2 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon granules·
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Directions
1. In a large bowl add pork, beef, egg, 4 cloves garlic, salt, and pepper; mix well. Shape mixture into 1-inch balls. (I used an ice cream scoop- made them a bit bigger but worked well) Place in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until no longer pink and an instant-read thermometer inserted in meatballs registers 160 degree F.
2. In a Dutch oven cook onion and the 2 cloves of garlic in hot oil over medium heat until onion is tender. Add tomato tomato sauce and chipotle chili peppers, bouillon granules, and cumin. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add cooked meatballs; stir gently to coat. Simmer for at least 15 minutes- longer if you want. I added about 1 cup of water to reduce thickness.
4. Transfer to a serving bowl. Makes 6 to 8 dozen meatballs. Makes less b/c of size

1 comment:

Karen said...

UM Hello..Why didn't I know about this earlier?? Look at all the YUMMY YUMMY recipes!!!