Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Great Bread Challenge: Artos

I read a blog a couple of weeks ago that talked about a bread baking challenge. The idea is to bake all the breads in a book called "The Breadmaker's Apprentice". It's a wonderful cookbook that focuses on artisan type breads. These recipes are not for the faint of heart, but since we both love bread, I thought I'd give it a go.

First week was Anadama Bread- a very dark, molasses based sandwich loaf. Came out really well, but I forgot to take pictures. The molasses taste is strong- not sure I'd make it again, but we both enjoyed it for a change.
This week is Artos, a Greek celebration bread- and now we have pics!





First you make poolish, a starter that ferments overnight.
The dough has all kinds of spices and fruits.
You knead it for 10 minutes.
Let it rise till it's doubled in volume. Then put it on the pan and let it rise again with the fancy doodads.
A thing of beauty! Tastes incredible and makes wonderful toast. Next time, I'll make the loaves smaller- and forget the doodads.
Next up... bagels! Mmmmmmmmm

No comments: